National or Summer Research Opportunities
Browse through this guide developed by UB’s Undergraduate Research Team to find links to numerous summer research opportunities both on and off campus in all disciplines, including the arts and humanities, social sciences and medicine: Guide to Summer Undergraduate Research Opportunities (PDF).
UB Summer Research Opportunities
- Dr. Terry Connell
- 128 Biomedical Education Building
Center for Children and Families
- Karen Fumerelle
- 106 Diefendorf Hall
- 3435 Main Street, Buffalo, NY 14214
- Katie Blackman, 716-829-3543
- 35 Biomedical Education Building
- 3435 Main St, Buffalo, NY 14214
National Summer Research Opportunities
- AAMC, Association of American Medical Colleges Summer Programs
- AERA Fellowship and Grant Opportunities: American Educational Research Association offers fellowship programs and funding opportunities for undergraduate students, graduate students, and early career scholars. These programs provide mentoring and funding support to develop research skills and conduct studies in education related fields and topics.
- American Mathematical Society: Research Experience for Undergraduates Summer Programs
- Caltech MURF Undergraduate Research Fellowships: 10-week paid summer research program for underrepresented students in science and engineering.
- Chemistry REU at University of Michigan
- CPRIT-CURE Summer Undergraduate Program: 10-week research program designed for outstanding undergraduate students who are interested in pursuing a career in cancer research.
- Collegiate Inventors Competition
- Department of Commerce Internship Program for Postsecondary Students: The U. S. Department of Commerce (DOC)-Internship for Postsecondary Students Program offers opportunities to participate in hands-on education and training related to the Department of Commerce.
- Department of Energy Scholars Program: Summer internships for research in solutions to power and securing America’s future, specifically in energy security, nuclear security, scientific discovery and innovation, environmental responsibility and management excellence.
- Mickey Leland Energy Fellowship: 10-week paid summer research program for women and minority students.
- Microsoft Imagine Cup: Student technology competition that allows students from all over the world to compete using technology to solve global problems.
- National Science Foundation REUs (Research Experience for Undergraduate Students): The Research Experiences for Undergraduates (REU) program supports active research participation by undergraduate students in any of the areas of research funded by the National Science Foundation. REU projects involve students in meaningful ways in ongoing research programs or in research projects designed especially for the purpose. This solicitation features two mechanisms for support of student research: (1) REU Sites are based on independent proposals to initiate and conduct projects that engage a number of students in research. REU Sites may be based in a single discipline or academic department, or on interdisciplinary or multi-department research opportunities with a coherent intellectual theme. Proposals with an international dimension are welcome. A partnership with the Department of Defense supports REU Sites in DoD-relevant research areas. (2) REU Supplements may be requested for ongoing NSF-funded research projects or may be included as a component of proposals for new or renewal NSF grants or cooperative agreements. Undergraduate student participants in either Sites or Supplements must be citizens or permanent residents of the United States or its possessions.
- Oak Ridge Institute for Science and Education: Environmental Health Summer Fellowship (Atlanta, GA)
- Pathways to Science: Summer Research for Undergraduates
- Psi Chi Undergraduate Research Grants: Apply for up to $1,500 to help fund your research.
- Rutgers R.I.S.E. Program: Rutgers invites college juniors and sophomores majoring in the sciences, math, engineering or psychology to apply to an exciting summer research program, RiSE (Research in Science and Engineering). We are seeking undergraduates with strong academic credentials who have the desire to pursue research and a future PhD.
- Strategic Corporate Research Summer School: Sponsored by Cornell University and AFL-CIO.
- The Ohio State University SUCCESS Program: Summer Undergraduate Course Creating Excellence in Scientific Study
- UC Berkeley Amgen Scholars Summer Research Program in Science and Biotechnology:
- UNIL's School of Biology: 2017 Summer Undergraduate Research (SUR) Programme in the biological and medical sciences.
- University of Georgia's Savannah River Ecology Laboratory REU
- University of Nevada Las Vegas REU: Summer research in microbiology
- University of Rochester Chemistry REU
- University of South Carolina REU: Summer research program in marine biogeochemistry
- University of Washington Amgen Scholars Program: Summer STEM research program for undergraduate students.
- U.S. Department of Homeland Security STEM Summer Internship
- Workforce Development for Teachers and Scientists