Funding Your Research
$500.00 Undergraduate Research Awards
UB’s Center for Undergraduate Research & Creative Activities, through the support of the Office of the Vice Provost for Undergraduate Education, is pleased to offer undergraduate students the opportunity to apply for Undergraduate Research Awards. Awards are granted to University at Buffalo undergraduate students who exhibit a need for funding to perform meaningful research and/or creative activities during their undergraduate enrollment at UB. Award applications will be reviewed by a team of UB faculty and staff that will give consideration to applications that show a true need for financial support to purchase supplies, attend conferences, etc. Application procedures and instructions can be found below.
Important Application Information
- Only complete application packets will be accepted.
- Before an application can be reviewed, the project described MUST be advertised under Research Opportunities on the CURCA website. Faculty mentors are to submit research opportunity postings online.
- Students often have questions about their application. While it is not required to schedule an appointment with CURCA prior to submitting an application, we are happy to meet with you to discuss your application and answer any questions you may have. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org and we will work together to arrange a convenient time to discuss your application.
- Projects that involve human subjects, either for medical/human testing and/or for completing surveys or questionnaires that are person-specific or seeking personal information or opinion, may require Institutional Review Board (IRB )approval. Please discuss the potential need for IRB approval with your faculty mentor. A project leader may have prior IRB approval and simply need to add you to the project with proper CITI training; or, you may need to work with your mentor to apply for IRB approval. Details on the IRB process and CITI Research Ethics Training can be found here:
- ***Please note: There is a set amount of undergraduate research funding available each academic year. Our review team reserves the right to defer decisions regarding applications for projects that have already been funded by CURCA and applications for conference funding until the final review period in April in order to allow remaining funds to be utilized on new research proposals.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis throughout the semester. Applications are due by 3:00 p.m. on the dates listed below. Once your application has been reviewed, you will be notified by email of the outcome.
Fall 2015 Deadlines
- Wednesday, October 7, 2015
- Wednesday, November 18, 2015
Spring 2016 Deadlines
- Wednesday, February 3, 2016
- Wednesday, March 9, 2016
Summer 2016 Deadlines
- CURCA is no longer accepting applications for the 2015-2016 academic year because we have awarded our entire research awards budget. Please check back for Fall 2016 deadlines.
Please submit your completed application packet to:
- CURCA - Undergraduate Research Awards
- 24 Capen Hall
- University at Buffalo North Campus
IF YOUR PROJECT WAS NOT FUNDED
The premise of the CURCA Awards Process is to give students the ability to work closely with their research mentor and experience what it is like to write and (hopefully receive) a research grant. Please know that in the real world of research funding, denials and rejections are a very important part of this learning process. Student applicants that are denied CURCA funding are encouraged to go back to their research mentors and look for ways to improve upon their application for subsequent funding rounds. Check out this article about resubmitting your grant proposal.