Funding Your Research
$500.00 Undergraduate Research Awards
UB’s Center for Undergraduate Research & Creative Activities, through the support of the Office of the Vice Provost for Undergraduate Education, is pleased to offer undergraduate students the opportunity to apply for Undergraduate Research Awards. Awards are granted to University at Buffalo undergraduate students who exhibit a need for funding to perform meaningful research and/or creative activities during their undergraduate enrollment at UB. Award applications will be reviewed by a team of UB faculty and staff that will give consideration to applications that show a true need for financial support to purchase supplies, attend conferences, etc. Application procedures and instructions can be found below.
Important Application Information
- Only complete application packets will be accepted.
- Before an application can be reviewed, the project described MUST be advertised under Research Opportunities on the CURCA website. Faculty mentors are to submit research opportunity postings online.
- Students often have questions about their application. While it is not required to schedule an appointment with CURCA prior to submitting an application, we are happy to meet with you to discuss your application and answer any questions you may have. Please email email@example.com and we will work together to arrange a convenient time to discuss your application.
- Projects that involve human subjects, either for medical/human testing and/or for completing surveys or questionnaires that are person-specific or seeking personal information or opinion, may require Institutional Review Board (IRB )approval. Please discuss the potential need for IRB approval with your faculty mentor. A project leader may have prior IRB approval and simply need to add you to the project with proper CITI training; or, you may need to work with your mentor to apply for IRB approval. Details on the IRB process and CITI Research Ethics Training can be found here:
- ***Please note: There is a set amount of undergraduate research funding available each academic year. Our review team reserves the right to defer decisions regarding applications for projects that have already been funded by CURCA and applications for conference funding until the final review period in April in order to allow remaining funds to be utilized on new research proposals.
Application Deadlines for 2014-2015
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis throughout the semester. Applications are due by 3:00 p.m. on the dates listed below. Once your application has been reviewed, you will be notified by email of the outcome.
- Wednesday, October 1, 2014
- Wednesday, November 19, 2014
- Wednesday, February 4, 2015
- Wednesday, March 11, 2015
Summer Application Deadline
- Wednesday, April 15, 2015
Please submit your completed application packet to:
- CURCA - Undergraduate Research Awards
- 24 Capen Hall
- University at Buffalo North Campus